The main part of our Christmas Eve Worship service is a musical rendition of the Christmas story performed by the Christmas Eve Workshop crew. The CEW musical this year is all about Super Heroes and the quest to find the “Symbol of Eternal Hope” – the ultimate super hero who can save the world.
Christmas Eve 2019.
Bible Reading: Isaiah 9:2,6,7
Preacher: Rev Phil Swain & Brendan Atkins
How good was that. Let’s give them another round of applause for all the work that has gone into that retelling of the Christmas story.
It was great. I particularly love it how lots of different things and experiences were all ultimately pointing to the greatest superhero. The kids and I have been doing something similar in our talks over the past 4 days at Christmas Eve Workshop. We had a friend who visited us …
[Thor walks on]
Thor … I wasn’t expecting you tonight. I thought that you would be with family or doing something … saving the world.
(Wanted to see the musical etc)
I was just about to give a wrap up of what we learnt during our challenge that you gave us (go ahead)
Thor gave us the challenge to find the symbol of eternal hope … exactly like the oracle did in the musical tonight. But in our talks we discovered something to help us. LIGHT SYMBOLS. These are symbols that point us to the Symbol of Eternal Hope.
Light Symbol #1
- Infinity (are like the gauntlet) / Eternal
- We learnt that people in the OT were hoping for a SAVIOUR
- A Saviour is someone who … Save us
- But this hope for a saviour was not only good news for people in the future … but also for people in the past … and people right now … including us.
ISAIAH … bible reading…
- Sounds like a super hero … can you read it out Thor in your super hero voice?
Isaiah 9:2, 6
The people walking in darkness
have seen a great light;
on those living in the land
of deep darkness
a light has dawned.
For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given,
and the government
will be on his shoulders.
And he will be called…
- Wonderful Counsellor à This superhero will care for us
- Mighty God à do amazing things through God’s mighty power
- Everlasting Father à Teach us about God
- Prince of Peace à make the wrong things right
Our second light symbol was … the manger
The angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will bring great joy. Today … a Saviour has been born ; he is the
Messiah. You will find this baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.” Luke 2:10-12
A clue which points us to the SOEH … this saviour will be a baby in a manger.
Light Symbol #3 – Star
- The next light symbol is the star … another symbol that points the way.
- Magi … searching for SOEH … the new born king
THOR – so the Symbol of Eternal Hope is a baby?
But this SOEH is more than just a baby … listen to what the angel told Joseph about his baby…
Mary will give birth to a son and you shall give him the name Jesus because he will save EVERYONE from their sins.
SAVIOUR … for all people, future, past and for us right now.
THOR … HOW???
Light Symbol #4 – Cross
- The Cross is a symbol to remind us that Jesus did what it took to make the wrong things of this world right again. Through the cross we can find forgiveness and be friends with God..
THOR … Wow, this Saviour sounds like a might person. Where does this saviour get their power from?
Light Symbol #5 – LOVE
- God is love
- At Christmas time, God offers us Love, peace, joy and hope.
- For God so loved the world…
- Eternal life … or eternal love, eternal peace, eternal joy and eternal hope!!!!
THOR … ETERNAL HOPE. You mean that …
Yes, we solved it. The Symbol of Eternal Hope is JESUS.
It is my prayer for all of us this Christmas that we might experience the love, joy and peace that Jesus brings … but in particular that this Christmas you may experience this powerful, never ending, eternal hope which is ours this Christmas through Jesus.